I’ve been struck by how many times I’ve heard people say – “I hate marketing.” As someone who’s created, promoted and depended on quite a bit of marketing content, this sentiment always made me uneasy.
I think what they’re really saying though is that hate BAD marketing. They dis-like being “marketed/sold to.” They really don’t like hearing again and again about something they just don’t care about. They don’t like when they’re being spoken down to.
But, the very same people LOVE and RAVE ABOUT great customer experiences –
- Finding what they’re looking for quickly and easily (marketing)
- Getting information to inform/justify a purchase (marketing)
- Getting the right accessories for purchases (marketing)
- Learning about new products/services that solve their real problems (marketing)
- Being happy with products and services they purchase because they’re well designed and implemented (marketing)
- Getting validation for purchasing decisions they’ve made (marketing)